Courtesy of JNS 

Sanad al-Turman, the suspect in the car-ramming attack in Jerusalem on Feb. 6, 2020, is escorted by prison guards outside the Jerusalem Magistrate's Court on Feb. 7, 2020. 


(JNS) Police have arrested a 25-year-old eastern Jerusalem resident in connection with the vehicular assault in Jerusalem early on Feb. 8 that left 12 Israeli soldiers wounded, one of them seriously.

Sanad al-Turman was taken into custody on the evening of Feb. 8 at the Gush Etzion Junction.

The suspect’s brother denied that al-Turman, who has no previous record of terrorist activity, had any intention to hurt anyone. “He caused an accident, got scared and fled. He didn’t mean for it to happen,” the brother told the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court on Feb. 9, before the court decided to extend al-Turman’s custody by 10 days.

“He is a smart and good man, attending college,” the brother continued. “I am sure this is not a terrorist attack. I handed my brother over to the security forces, he was not apprehended.”

Israeli security forces have denied the brother’s claim, citing several Facebook posts that appear to signal al-Turman’s intent.

In one Facebook post, al-Turman wrote, “I’ve found my answers,” and in another, “Whoever seeks peace with the enemy is living under an illusion. Never surrender.”

In the second of three Jerusalem terrorist attacks on Feb. 8, an Israeli Border Police officer was lightly wounded in a shooting near the Old City. The assailant, identified by Israeli media as 45-year-old Haifa resident Shadi Beda, who had recently converted from Christianity to Islam, was killed by police at the scene.

Police released Beda’s body on Feb. 9, with a burial expected to take place in a Muslim Cemetery in Haifa, according to Ha’aretz.

Also on Feb. 8, an Israeli soldier was lightly wounded in a drive-by shooting along a highway in central Judea and Samaria, southeast of Qalqilya. The attack was the third against Israeli security forces within 24 hours. The soldier, whose head was grazed by a bullet, was taken to the Sheba Medical Center in Ramat Gan for treatment.

The IDF posted on its official Twitter channel on Feb. 8 that troops at the scene had returned fire at the suspect, and that a manhunt was currently underway.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.