In the Beginning: 1854
The Israelite, whose sole and responsible editor we confess to be, declares war against error, superstition, prejudice, ignorance, arrogance, hypocrisy and bigotry, in whatever shape or form they may fall under our notice; but it will never have recourse to personalities or invectives, and hereby requests its numerous correspondents to bear in mind this invariable rule, if others should use improper terms, they will never appear to us as patterns worthy of imitation
— July 14, 1854
150 Years Ago
The Synagogues of Cincinnati (continued)
Lodge Alley Synagogue
This is situated on the east side of Lodge alley, between Sixth and Seventh streets. There is no minister connected with this congregation, but there is a reader, who conducts the services. This is a regular orthodox congregation. It adheres as far as possible to all the ancient ceremonies. The gallery is used by the ladies, and the men sit in the body of the audience room. The congregation is called the Sheareth Israel Congregation, “The Holy Congregation of Israel.”
The Walnut Street Synagogue
This is on the north-east corner of Seventh and Walnut streets. The congregation is designated “The Polish Congregation of the Kal Kodesch Adath Israel.” The synagogue is rented. There is a reader, but no Rabbi. The members have all emigrated here from Prussian Poland. They belong to the orthodox sect of Jews.
— July 29, 1870
125 Years Ago
Free Manual Training School
There are now 43 boys registered. The eagerness with which they work and the earnestness they manifest are a source of great satisfaction and are indicative of the great possibilities that lie dormant in our Training School, waiting to be aroused into great living realities.
A gay party of young folks gave a surprise in honor of Miss Hattie Goetz, of New Orleans. The spacious grounds at the residence of Mrs. N. Levy were thrown open for an informal dance on the lawn, which was continued until late in the night.
Dr. and Mrs. Isaac M. Wise have returned from a pleasant trip to Rochester and Saratoga.
Mr. and Mrs. Dan Hessberg will move next week into their new residence on Glenway Avenue, Avondale, which has just been completed.
— July 25, 1895
100 Years Ago
Mr. H. S. Livingston of this city has purchased the Remington Vacation Camp, located on the Little Miami River. Mr. Livingston has donated the camp to the United Jewish Social Agencies, in memory of his son, Lieutenant Robert K. Livingston, who died at Fort Oglethorpe, where he was serving as instructor of army engineers, after having returned from France.
Mrs. Matilda L. Einstein has announced the engagement of her daughter, Jean, to Mr. Rudolph Stein of San Francisco. She will be married in San Francisco some time in September.
Hon. Alfred M. Cohen, with his daughter, Miss Hannah Cohen, and her fiance, Mr. Sylvan Z. Rothschild, and Mr. Philip A. Cohen, left in Mr. Cohen’s car last Sunday for Kennebunkport, Maine, where they will remain until early in September.
— July 22, 1920
75 Years Ago
Capt. Meyer N. Margolis, brother of Mr. Toddy G. Margolis, 3139 Reading Road, is home on a 30-day leave after 28 months ser- vice in the European sector. After his leave, he will report to Camp Atterbury, Ind., for re- assignment.
A shower was given in honor of Miss Dorothy Miller, bride-elect of Lt. Milton Steibel, by Miss Dolores Misrach, 3436 Jay Street, Thursday evening, July 20th.
Rockdale Avenue Temple
We call attention to the announcement made recently of the creation of a College in Cincinnati this coming fall for Teachers in our Jewish Religious Schools. It is of utmost importance that we develop our own Religious School teachers here in Cincinnati. Any High School graduate who is interested in preparing himself or herself for teaching in our Religious School is urged to communicate with Dr. Reichert. Fellowships will be offered to students who are enrolled.
Furnished room for young woman; more for companionship, as husband is in service. 1974 Avonlea, JE 4980.
Jewish Hospital births include:
Lt. and Mrs. Mark Kondritzer (Lillian Brenner), 3484 Dury Avenue, son, Saturday, July 21st.
— July 26, 1945
50 Years Ago
Mrs. F. Dann Sargent has been nominated by her alma mater, Oberlin College, to be designated one of the “outstanding young women of America.”
She is the former Miss Alice Goldstein and the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold K. Goldstein, 5046 Oberlin Boulevard.
Mr. and Mrs. Stephen A. Mason (Maureen van Gellder), 7701 Monticello Drive, announce the birth of a daughter, Julie Pam, Saturday, July 18. The infant has a brother, Bradley Sean.
Mr. Michael Neumark graduated from the UC College of Law. He was an editor of The Law Review and won the William Worthing- ton Prize for 1970.
Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Nadler, 2730 Section Road, announce the forthcoming Bar Mitzvah of their son, Tom Julius, Saturday, July 25, at 10:45 a.m., at Wise Center, Read- ing Road at N. Crescent Avenue.
Reva Goldstein, 2362 Losantiville, wishes to thank Rabbi David Indich, Dr. Richard Salzer, Dr. Harry Roach, all of her friends and relatives for their visits, good wishes, gifts, and contributions given in her behalf during her confinement at Bethesda Hospital.
Famous comedian Henny Youngman recently entertained the residents of the Orthodox Home during a surprise visit to his friend, Mrs. Eva Jaeger. The TV star was in Cincinnati for an engagement at the Lookout House.
— July 23, 1970
25 Years Ago
With the return of Torah scrolls into the holy Ark, the congregation of Isaac M. Wise Temple reopened Plum Street Temple Friday after a 10-month, $2 million renovation.
It’s wild,” said Rabbi Abie Ingber, executive director of the University of Cincinnati’s Hillel Jewish Student Center. He was describing the moment Al Fishbein, a faculty member at UC, recognized an ark door handle from his Chicago shul in the Hillel building.
This type of incident is not unusual, Ingber said, considering that Hillel houses a museum which contains a collection of synagogue artifacts and architectural remnants from numerous congregations nationwide.
NOAH graduation ceremonies were held at Adath Israel featuring the Seniors of NOAH (Northern Hills, Ohav Shalom, and Adath Israel High School on May 7.
“We were very proud of the students and their accomplishments,” said Judy Levenson, educational director.
The Glen Manor Auxiliary will be sponsoring its annual Stardust Ball on Tuesday, Aug. 1, from 6:30-8:00 p.m. at Glen Manor.
Each summer, the Auxiliary and Glen Manor hold this event for its residents and friends. All of the residents get dressed up for dinner and then head for the ball to dance and enjoy the music.
Brett and Pamela Ishida-Kropveld announce the birth of a son, Aaron Robert, July 6.
Wayne and Julie Helton announce the birth of a daughter, Alisha Brook, May 16. Alisha Brooke has two brothers, Joshua and Zachary Snapp, and three sisters, Kelli, Misty and T.J. Helton.
— July 27, 1995
10 Years Ago
The Department of Judaic Studies at the University of Cincinnati’s McMicken College of Arts & Sciences is one step closer to establishing the center for Jewish Cultures and Ideas, thanks to a generous $1 million gift from the Kim and Gary Heiman Family Foundation. When complete, the multi-million dollar center will serve as a unique hub for enhancing the Judaic Studies program at UC.
On Aug. 6, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. following a “nosh” at 6 p.m., the sanctuary at Temple Sholom will come alive with the sound of Klezmer music to enhance the beauty of the Shabbat service.
The Rockwern Academy is sponsoring Jewish recreational basketball teams this winter for students in grades 7-12. In forming this league, Rockwern Academy hopes to build community spirit and support Jewish athletics, as well as provide teens with another outlet to enhance Jewish identities and bonds with other local Jewish youth.
In Ohio there are 230,00 people, 65 and older, with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, representing a 15 percent increase over 2000 statistics. At Cedar Village, special care for individuals with dementia has been part of the mission since the facility opened in 1997. As part of the 162-bed Medicare and Medicaid certified health Care center, the philosophy of Cedar Village’s dementia care program is recognizing that each person’s disease process is unique and must be addressed individually.
For the past several months, the Jewish Federation of Cincinnati’s Planning & Allocations committee has been on the move. Council members from throughout the com- munity have been making site visits to partner and beneficiary agencies as part of a multi- tiered process to determine how to allocate the Federation’s available dollars—and to ensure that every dollar delivers maximum impact and benefit to the community.
As part of their ongoing mission to pro- vide a wide variety of activities, classes and seminars for local Cincinnati senior adults (ages 60+), the JCC Senior Life program has planned a tribute luncheon in early August and will offer several new wellness programs that start this October.
— July 29, 2010