In the Beginning: 1854
Each week The American Israelite will print an item from the first year of our publication, 1854.
Munich. — Dr. Oettinger, a Jewish physician in this city, received the title of royal counsellor, by the king of Bavaria, in acknowledgement of the philanthropic activity at the bed-side of Cholera patients, and other merits.
Vienna. — Mr. Simon Spitzer, a celebrated Jewish mathematician, and assistant professor in this branch at the polytechnical institute of this city, received the best testimonial of the imperial colonel-director, Baron Smola. Nothing is forgotten in the document that could recommend Mr. S. as a scholar and a man; still eh could not receive an appointment of the ministry as a professor of mathematics. Mr. S., therefore, resigned his position.
—December 29, 1854
150 YEARS AGO
Egyptian Record of the Exodus
The Cologne Gazette publishes the subjoined: Dr. Eisenlohn, a Professor of the University of Heidelberg and a learned Egyptian scholar, went to England a few months isnce, to examine a papyrus found in a tomb by Mr. Harris, editor of the Hieroglyphical Standard. This is the finest, largest, best written and best preserved of all that has hitherto been discovered in the country of the Pharaohs, forming a roll of 134 feet in length, and 16 1/2 inches wide. It dates from the end of the reign of Rameses III (the Rompsinit of Herodotus), and is thus more than 3,000 years old. It contains most valuable information relative to the political and religious civilization of Egypt at that distant period, and is written in hieratic characters, that is to say, a mixture of hieroglyphics and signs for letters and syllables. The text is an allocution from Rameses III, “to his people and all the men on earth,” on the great deed of his reign and those of this father, Setirecht, and Maneptah II. Rameses himself recounts how he reestablished the ancient Egyptian worship, rebuilt the temples, and endowed them with munificence, on the effects of which he dwells largely. At the end of his address, the king enumerates his warlike exploits and all the services he had rendered to his people. The religious movement alluded to relates to the period of Moses, to the Monotheistic worship founded or restored by him, and comprises all the event which terminated in the run of Monotheism in Egypt, and the exodus of the Jews. The papyrus is, consequently, of the highest interest for the study of the Mosaic religion and legislation, and is eminently useful to explain, coordinate and confirm a great variety of details.
Pullman sleeping cars are now being provided with safes, wherein travelers can deposit their valuables.
The educated live longer than the illiterate: the rich, longer than the poor; the good, longer than the bad.
To Kill flies. — A few chips of quassia wood (obtained of the druggist) soaked in a little water, and sweetened with sugar, will kill flies directly they taste it. It is not poisonous to anything else.
—December 27, 1872
125 YEARS AGO
The Anti-Sabbath Proposition in Cleveland
“There is considerable excitement among our people in Cleveland," some friend wrote us; “some want to transfer the Jewish Sabbath to the Christian Sunday, and your readers would like to know what you think about it.”
For various reasons we did not think of bestowing reflection on this piece of gossip, as we are accustomed to call what some or many people discuss among themselves. Then, as regards our readers, we thought they must be very young if they have not read how the Israelite for the last forty odd years invariable and constantly opposed with might and main any and every deviation from the Ten Commandments in letter or spirit, which is the law and condition of the divine covenant of God and Israel. Besides all this, we know that the proposition to change the Sabbath day to Sunday always comes from such coreligionists who keep no Sabbath, so it makes no difference to them which day is called so or otherwise; they cannot be much in earnest about it is they speak bout the change of day.
Plum Street Temple Bible Class
At the next meeting of the Plum St. Temple Bible Class, which takes place Tuesday evening, Rabbi Levi will deliver a lecture on Jewish history, taking for his subject, “The Jews of the Medo-Persian Empire.”
— December 30, 1897
100 YEARS AGO
No “Lost Tribes of Israel”
According to an Associated Press dispatch thirteen families, believed to be remnants of the “lost tribes” carried into captivity by Babylonia, 26 centuries ago, have reached Erivan, Armenia, according to a cablegram received by the local branch of the Near East relief. They Feld from Urumis, Persia, going over the mountains with ox teams and on foot. A rabbi, Hannock Siminiv, carried with him records which seemed to connect the Israelite colon¥ at Urumis with the lost tribes, according to the cablegram. Only forty-seven adults and thirty-three children out of a larger number that started, made the journey safely, the advices said. This may possibly be correct, with the exception of the statement that these families are the remnants of the “Lost Tribes of Israel.” No tribes of Israel were ever lost. The isolated Jews that are occasionally found in different parts of the world are probably descendants of Jews who emigrated from Palestine or elsewhere centuries ago.
Bucharest. — A band of hooligans invaded the Jewish bathhouse at Klausenburg, causing a panic among the bathers, attacking Rabbi Glasner and other prominent Jews of the place, says a report.
Bucharest. — The demand of the Christian students to introduce at the University of Klausenburg a percent norm limiting Jewish admissions has been rejected by the University authorities, says a Kalusenburg report.
Stockholm. — The Nobel Prize for Physics won by Professor Albert Einstein of theory and relativity fame, was handed to the German Charge d’Affaires here, because Professor Einstein was unable to come to Stockholm. Distribution of the Nobel Prizes was marked by the usual ceremony, in which the King of Sweden took part.
— December 28, 1922
75 YEARS AGO
50 Americans To Leave On Palestinian Mission in February of 1948
Atlantic City (JTA) — The five-day national conference of the United Jewish Appeal at its closing session decided to send a group of 50 American Jewish leaders to Palestine as a flying “Economic and Defense Delegation” to the Jewish State. The delegation will leave for Palestine in early February. Each member will defray the cost of his round-trip journey.
Meanwhile, the Jewish Agency officials left Atlantic City to bring the needs to the Jewish State to the attention of government officials in Washington in the hopes too obtaining loans and grants, including arms for defense.
Cincinnati Social and Personal
Mr. Walton H. Bachrach has been elected secretary of the Hamilton County Republican Club. Messrs. Harold M. Baron and Joseph X. Schwartz have been elected directors.
Dr. Jacob R. Marcus left Wednesday, Dec. 17th, for a trip in behalf of the newly established American Jewish Archives at the Hebrew Union College.
Dr. Marcus, director of the Archives and Adolph S. Ochs professor of Jewish History at HUC, will examine manuscripts in the U.S. Library of Congress at Washington D.C.; at the State Library in Richmond, Va.; and manuscripts of the Jeffersonian period at Charlottesville, Va.
He will return Tuesday, Dec. 23rd.
Omicron Chapter of Sigma Alpha Mu, University of Cincinnati, won the Volleyball Championship of the University with an undefeated record of eight wins — five occurring in league play and the last three in the playoffs.
— December 25 , 1947
50 YEARS AGO
Wise Congregation To Vote Jan. 17 On Proposal To Build in Amberley
The congregation of Isaac M. Wise Temple will have a special meeting Jan. 17 to act on a proposal to build a religious school, chapel, auditorium, library and offices at Ridge and Galbraith Roads in Amberley Village, and to see the Wise Center Building at N. Crescent Ave.
John A. Benjamin, president of the congregation has called the special meeting.
Mr. and Mrs. Irwin Garfinkle announce with pleasure the forthcoming Bar Mitzvah of their son, Jeff, on Saturday, Jan. 6, 1973, 11 a.m. at Temple Shalom, Longmeadow Lane, Amberley Village.
Relatives and friends are invited to attend the services and join in the Kiddush and luncheon following.
Jeff is the grandson of Mrs. Esther Garfinkle and the late Jacob Garfinkle, and Mr. an Mr.s Joseph Mazer, all of Boston. He is the great grandson of Mrs. Sarah Mazer who recently celebrated her 101st birthday.
—December 28, 1972
25 YEARS AGO
Klazmer Project entertains for Chanukah
Steven F. Stuhlbarg, of the Cincinnati Klezmer Project, led the menorah lighting ceremony during Chanukah celebrations over the weekend at the John M. Hayner House in the Sharon Woods Historical Village. The Hayner House was built around 1843 and was originally located on the banks of the Little Miami River in South Lebanon. The house was relocated to the historical village earlier this year.
Other members of the Klezmer Project, Sarah Burk and Irina Bernadsky, joined Stuhlbarg in entertaining visitors.
Ohav Shalom invites new, prospective members
Ohav Shalom Congregation will host a New and Prospective Member Shabbat on Friday, Jan. 9 at 8 p.m. An ONeg Shabbat will be served at the conclusion of services.
“We are very pleased to welcome another large group of new members to Ohav Shalom this year,’ stated Michael Smolin, synagogue president. “Over the past five years, we have welcomed more than 125 new families to the congregation. New Member Shabbat has become a special annual celebration for the entire congregation.”
— January 1, 1998
10 YEARS AGO
Chanukah in Mason
The Jewish Discovery Center, Center for Jewish Life in the Mason area, drew large crowds at its multiple Chanukah programs. Programs included Chanukah Pajamikah, Discovery Hebrew School’s Menorah Contest, and Chai Tots’ Chanukah Walk-Through.
Significantly, the community Giant Menorah Lighting at the Deerfield Towne Center on the fourth night of Chanukah saw some 350 community members despite the freezing weather. Rabbi Yosef Kalmanson was joined by the President of Deerfield Township Trustees, the Mayor of Mason and many other community officials for the lighting and the public celebration of Jewish religious freedom.
Alterations of Springdale opens Montgomery location
By Michael Sawan
Alterations of Springdale has expanded, with a new location having opened in Duffy Square alongside Montgomery Road. This is in addition to their former location, which has been in Springdale for over 35 years. Irene Spektor, one of the business’ co-owners, is optimistic about the move.
—December 27, 2012
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.